Friday, December 19, 2008

The wonderfully throbbing Christmas.




I would like to share (with the zero or maybe one person that reads this blog) the awesomeness of translations from Asian languages to English. I'm sure most people are familiar with the fact that you can buy many things in Asia with random non-sensical English phrases on them. It's great.

In defense of Asians, I think we United Statesians do the same thing... hanging chinese characters on our walls and tatooing them on our bodies, not really sure if they say peace, love, happiness, or f*** you!

For those of you not familiar with Asian attempts at English, here are a few examples from http://www.engrish.com/ ....


Yes... I think is rearry bud for you.



are there going to be some urinals in here? or just toilets? or do femans have their own special kind?


yummy.... how about some crap and cheese wontons and some kung poo chicken as well?

I don't know... I really just don't know. Also, it seems to be a product of Mexico. Globalization can be so distressing.


In the Christmas spirit, here are some of my own discoveries while shopping for a birthday present for my mom at T.J. Maxx Home Goods last year. Thank goodness I had my camera.

(Conversation in my head...)

me: oh, this is kind of a cute appetizer serving dish thingy. I bet my mom might like it. you know, poinsettias and happy christmas words.

other me: happy christmas words like... "chree?" "celebra?"

me: oh. maybe she won't notice. let's see...


other me: "down the chimney broad and black with your pack?"

me: fine. we're right*. she'll notice. that sounds like a creeper burglar. oh but look at the nice pitcher that goes with it.


other me: "fast asleep, ok you'll creep." real cute and festive.

me: moving on.

*no, I'm not schizophrenic.

3 comments:

Michemily said...

I laughed so hard at this, I had to cough.

Lindsay Lee said...

que interesante. ;)

cathy said...

I love it when I see "engrish". There was a ton of it in Russia. Oh Amanda, I love your sense of humor.