Sunday, April 12, 2009

It was fun (I asked Jonathan what the title should be and this is what he came up with) and stuff

Let's keep this one short and sweet.

Jonathan and I had a wonderful weekend trip to Guayaquil, the biggest city in Ecuador. We were planning on going to the beach, but after listening to conference last weekend, we thought this might be more fulfilling.


The temple was beautiful...


The weather was HOT and HUMID. It was a wonderful change from the cool mountain air we live in. One of the ladies that worked in the temple literally held my hand the whole time in the dressing room. Jonathan got some dirty looks at the temple because of his shoes but we had to pack light and they wouldn't fit. I don't think God minded.


After the temple Friday night, we got some touristy sightseeing in. We walked the promenade that winds along Guayaquil's huge River Guayas. There were all kinds of cool little sculptures, architecture, and parks, and it was packed with happy people and ice cream stands.
Jonathan

Amanda

After the walk along the promenade, we climbed 465 steps through a neighborhood on a hill to see the view from the top of a lighthouse. This is what we saw...


Foot picture. We like foot pictures.

We stayed in a really nice hostel I found on the internet for $12 bucks each. It was a group dorm with 8 beds but no one else came so it was just us..


This AWESOME dog lived at our hostel. I want him. I want a dog so bad lately. I even have dreams about getting a dog and wake up very disappointed.

We went to the temple again on Saturday, spoke some English with the couple missionaries (One of the ladies told me how to make taco seasoning!), ate lunch in the cafeteria, bought a Spanish Book of Mormon for Jonathan, enjoyed sweating in the hot and humid sea air. It was great.
Other highlights include...
-finding a rare ice-cold Coca-Cola LIGHT right when I was extremely thirsty from climbing all the stairs. It was heaven.
-riding in the oldest taxi ever. I don't know how it still runs. Datsuns are cool.
-GIGANTIC bugs around the hostel.
-Eating McDonald's
-the 5 hour bus ride through paradise.
-getting laughed at by an indigenous girl on the bus ride home every time I sat forward in my seat. I don't know why.
-walking around Guayaquil in nylons on flip flops
Well, it was a great weekend, but today doesn't really feel like Easter without Cadbury eggs, Easter dinner with the family, and Easter hymns at church. Oh well, I'm not very good at playing the Easter hymns anyway.

4 comments:

David and Brooke Gallagher said...

Fun! The temple is beautiful there! Did you do session or anything? My friend totally speaks English but likes to go to the Spanish sessions so she feels like she is paying attention. Sorry random thought but sounds fun to hear in a different language! Stay Classy! (Sorry I am watching anchor man)

cathy said...

What beautiful pictures. How did you get those weird blue ones? I'm so glad you got to the temple and got a little break. You guys have been working hard and deserve it.

Jessica said...

What a perfect Easter weekend! It looks like such a cool little excursion. YOu both look great! Miss you!

Brittany Anne Nielsen said...

Oh that's not random, I know who you are! I'm glad you commented. Especially cause I like comments, hah.

But, you married JONATHAN! He is hilarious. I was in a psychology class with him a few years ago. I am so happy that you two found each other. Life sounds amazing.
Tell your hubby hi.
Xoxo.

and i'm going to add you to my blog list, if that's ok.