Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Freckles. And sand in "places."

Well I have a bit of catching up to do here. I had a birthday, my brother had a birthday, my mom had a Mother's Day, and Jonathan and I took a vacation all in the past 3 days.

First of all, I would like to say thanks to Josh for being born on May 10th, the day before my birthday. It's nice to be able to share parties and not have to be the center of attention. I really love sharing my birthday season with Josh. Second, Josh, I think it's really rude that you're 15 now. That just seems too old. Can't you go back to being the cute little 4-year-old that said big words? Like when I was 12 and was giving you a bath and I started draining the water and you said/screamed, "Amanda! Amanda! Look! The bath water is diminishing! It's DIMINISHING!" I had to go look it up in the dictionary.

Well now instead of being that cute little boy you are a cute big boy. And girls have crushes on you. And you will be in high school this fall. And you are going to start driving lessons. And it's all just really really rude.

Josh droppin' it like it's hot.


Also on May 10th was Mother's Day! I was bummed that I missed out being with my wonderful mom. The older I get, the more I realize how great she is. She has always made big sacrifices for all of her children and we are so grateful. She's fun, she's generous, she's understanding, she's helpful, she writes good notes when you need them, she was patient and supportive during the rough times, and she's happy and supportive now that those times are over. Love you, Mom!


Me, Mom, and Em at Em's night-before-the-wedding dinner. Hours later Jonathan and I would kiss for the first time. Aw. Tender.




My birthday was yesterday. Yep, the big 2-3. I think this is around the age when you start not caring to get any older. No more getting excited about the age milestones. Well, except maybe 25, when I can rent a car more easily and get my insurance rates lowered. Oh and 65, when I get senior discounts at the movie theater and Sizzler.

I told Jonathan all I wanted for my birthday was cereal, Nutella, Tropifruttis, KinderBuenos, and a trip to the beach. I'm a simple girl, you see. He came through with my wishes. So on Saturday at 2 am we left Riobamba by bus to eventually arrive in Montañita around 11:30 am.

Basically it was wonderful 3-day weekend filled with hangin' out in swimsuits, bare feet, swimming, big waves, no stingrays or jellyfish, long walks on the beach, salty air, warm humidity, amazing sunsets, childhood memories of California, gathering sea shells, drinking fresh fruit juice, eating ceviche, crepes, watching the surfers, sand everywhere, body boarding, getting thrashed by the huge waves and loving it, sleeping under an umbrella on the sand, going to sleep and waking up to the sound of the ocean outside our open window, sleeping on a bed with no crack in the middle, playing cards on the bed with Jonathan until late and then sleeping in, meeting a Colombian hippy who has lived everywhere and who sold me some earrings, spilled beer on my feet, and spoke Portuguese with Jonathan, watching the sea spray through the reef, and never wanting to leave. For me, it was the best birthday present I could possibly get. I'm in love with the ocean and I loved every second of being there with Jonathan. It was almost a perfect weekend.

Before I show you the pictures, I'm going to have to explain that some unfortunate events did take place during our lovely beach weekend. Apart from sunburns and a mosquito bites (I have 15 below my knees), I accidentally left my camera in the common room of the hostel and someone stole it along with my favorite sweatshirt. Also, my flip flops got stolen off the beach. So now we are in the middle of our wonderful adventure without a camera (our second one to get stolen here! Grrrrr!). It's a pretty big bummer. We had some good sunset pictures and a cute picture of us, but you will all have to make do with these google image search pictures that I will pretend are mine...



This is Montañita. aahhhhh. (it really is Montañita.)


This is our hostel. (Actually ours was across the road from this building but this was the closest photo I could find. It looked pretty much the same.) This time we got a private room and bathroom. 20 bucks a night for us both including breakfast and a cocktail. Woo! You know how we love our cocktails.



This is Montañita's main street, wonderfully paved with sand. No one wears shoes. It's just what happens when a poor fishing village meets epic surfing and the hippies move in. I, personally, am a fan.

This is me/Jonathan bodyboarding on my birthday! (Okay maybe we never caught a wave quite that big, but we got some good ones and it was great fun.)


Here we are walking down the beach as the sun goes down on Sunday. (Picture my hair a little longer.)



So all in all, we had a blast and we hope to do it again before we leave. Thanks to Mom and Dad and Grandpa and Grandma for the birthday money that made this little trip possible. I really, really appreciate it! I may not have pictures to remind me of the trip, but my itching mosquito bites, continually finding sand in new places, our freshly freckled faces, and burned shoulders should keep it on the mind for awhile.

9 comments:

Jerrea said...

You have a talent my 23 year old little girl! You made me laugh out loud and also cry. I'm glad you had a great weekend. I'm also glad you finally got your package! LOVED the 'can't wait until 65 comment...for Sizzler' that was my laugh out loud moment. I love you!

David and Brooke Gallagher said...

So jealous!!! So glad to hear you had a awesome birthday! Being 25 only reminds me how close to my Thirty's I am. I am glad to hear you have a a more positive out look then I do!

Sarah Williams said...

Can I go to sizzler with you? I will be 65 too

Jessica said...

Oh man! It sounds so perfect! So happy that you had a great birthday, and a great weekend. You deserved it!

Ann Fisher said...

You totally made my day with this post. I, too, laughed out loud at the sizzler comment. And, I CANNOT believe Josh is 15! Sounds like a wonderful birthday!
Ann

Michemily said...

:) and :(

I want to visit there some day.

James McOmber said...

Ca-yuuuuuute.

Janet said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday Amanda. Thanks for sharing with us. We had a great trip to Canada and New York. James was a very good tour guide. He walked me into the ground. We saw everything and more of what I wanted to. It was an amazing experience. However I have no desire to go back again. Too crowded and busy for me.
Seeing grandma gracey's face when she saw all of us was priceless. Their Anniversary celebration was nice. It was good to see all the Canadians.

Love you both
Janet

Michemily said...

Holy cow! I'm glad Jonathan's heart is okay, but how are the doctors there? I guess you guys somehow have connections with doctors, though. Tell him to get better from me (and make sure he eats something with that ibuprofen so his stomach doesn't go bad some day).