Tuesday, June 16, 2009

happily ever after?

I was poking around this cool site today and I stumbled upon this interesting project by photographer Dina Goldstein.

Maybe this will make you feel sad, maybe it'll make you laugh, maybe it will offend you or make you angry, but I love it. The project is called "Fallen Princesses."

Take a look...


you have to notice the detail in this one... the horse race on the old television, the 70's looking house, the dog eating chips that have spilled on the floor, prince charming with a hole in his tights, snow white's bare feet, multiple children in soggy diapers... amazing. can anyone relate?


gotta love the dark socks with tevas


this one caused some controversy on the website.


this just makes my heart hurt, but the photo is amazing


this one might be my favorite.



The idea of putting our well-known and well-loved fairytale princesses into modern day situations that loosely reflect their plight/character in their original stories fascinates me. Here's what the artist had to say about it...

"These works place Fairy Tale characters in modern day scenarios. In all of the images the Princess is placed in an environment that articulates her conflict. The '...happily ever after' is replaced with a realistic outcome and addresses current issues.

The project was inspired by my observation of three-year-old girls, who were developing an interest in Disney's Fairy tales. As a new mother I have been able to get a close up look at the phenomenon of young girls fascinated with Princesses and their desire to dress up like them. The Disney versions almost always have sad beginning, with an overbearing female villain, and the end is predictably a happy one. The Prince usually saves the day and makes the victimized young beauty into a Princess.

As a young girl, growing up abroad, I was not exposed to Fairy tales. These new discoveries lead to my fascination with the origins of Fairy tales. I explored the original brothers Grimm's stories and found that they have very dark and sometimes gruesome aspects, many of which were changed by Disney. I began to imagine Disney's perfect Princesses juxtaposed with real issues that were affecting women around me, such as illness, addiction and self-image issues."

So what do you think? Did you recognize each princess? Do you have a favorite photo? What are your feelings about the whole thing?

Me? I guess life really can be a fairy tale...



(hey guys, i'd really love to hear your opinions. you don't have to have a blog or a gmail account to leave a comment. you can just post with your name if you want by clicking "open id" and then typing in your name and comment.)

12 comments:

Lisa Louise said...

Wow that was fascinating! I think I like princess jasmine in the current middle East the best.

Lori Ann said...

Rapunzel looks like a man! Was that Jazmine in the middle East? You need to get together with my sister, who once told me that Disney was anti feminist and she cited "the Little Mermaid", a story about a girl who had to lose her voice to get the man of her dreams. (Personally I dont think she needed to get married at 16 either) The one that always bothers me is the potrayal of Cinderella's step sisters. They were UGLY and mean and she was BEAUTIFUL and kind. This is actually a fun post, but a very thought provoking one..can I link it on my blog?

amanda said...

sure, link it. it is very thought provoking. that's what drew me in. i never made the connection between ariel losing her voice to get the man. interesting. and yeah, that's jasmine in the middle east.

Jessica said...

Very interesting. The photos were neat. I didn't get the Little Red Riding Hood photo, and I think Jasmine was my favorite also. While I can totally relate to the Snow White photo, I think it makes family life look like a bummer, which it isn't. Just some days are like that, other days, it is a fairy tale!

Sam and Rachelle said...

I LOVE THESE!! What an amazing artist. I do agree with how misleading the fairy tales are to little girls about the reality of life, but I do think that we all need an escape from reality at times...and honestly i did marry my very own prince charming :) I really like the Jasmine as well, it shows a strong women who stands on her own two feet not reliant on a man to save her. great post...sure to be a controversy...oooooh

Jeffrey said...

Brilliant.

cathy said...

That's all kinds of awesome. At the U we actually studied this to some degree. I've heard that all stories can fall into something like 7 basic plots, with these fairy tales sticking to just one or two themes.
Anyway, it's fascinating to think of how our children see these things, and how subtly they can be influenced. While watching Cinderella isn't going to turn them into a co-depending doormat, I think we should definitely do more to think about what kind of role models our girls have.

Dasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dasha said...

The one of Rapunzel is pretty darn disturbing.

Other than that, these don't elicit that strong of a reaction from me. I think the whole iconoclastic treatment of fairy tales thing has been done to death so it has kind of lost its shock value as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, probably not the reaction you were looking for but I thought I might as well throw my two cents in.

Oh, and I had to delete my previous comment because it had a typo in it. I'm OCD like that.

Chels... said...

Huh. Those were... Interesting. I'm following the crowd on the Jasmine one being my favorite. I always wanted to make movies on how all the stories REALLY ended. That would make for some nice dry humor eh?

Chris and Amy Darton said...

Wow! That is crazy!! Funny how real it looks and is so true :) I went to high school with your hubby p.s., and I love your blog experiences.

kristine gracey anderson said...

I think my favorite one was the Beauty and the Beast one. I have never been a fan of the love stories and the only reason why i like the older ones are for nostalgic reasons. So in my opinions of the whole thing, i like harsh reality and long boring endings. i hate predictability and "prince" and "princess" things. They bore me half to death.

i do think that Disney didnt do the anti feminine thing on purpose. i am sure that is what fit best at the time period released or was just the fad.

I do not want my kids (if i have any) growing up on barbies and perfect bodies to look at in fear they will become obsessed with their own body. but you cant really strip them of that privilege. but you can defiantly filter it.

So, i did like the pictures. The more raw, the more i enjoy it.