Sunday, June 21, 2009

reverberations

Growing up it seemed that whenever my dad had a moment to himself, he enjoyed making music. These moments usually only came after a long day at work, then helping kids with algebra and science projects, wrestling with the boys, church calling responsibilities, and maybe even a quick little repair of a leaky faucet or trimming the lawn. Many times it was only after his kids were all tucked into bed that my dad had those moments to himself in the living room with the piano, a notebook, a pencil, and sheets of staff paper waiting to be filled.

I remember lying in bed many nights during my childhood and teenage years and hearing piano music drifting softly in from the living room. Falling asleep to the hushed tones of my dad's voice and the piano serenade was always comforting.

Every now and again, my dad would call the family into the living room after he had finally completed one of his songs, the accompaniment, lyrics, and everything. He'd tell us he wanted to show us his new song. We wouldn't tell him that we already knew it by heart, that we already loved it, that we'd all fallen asleep to it for the past month. We'd just stand beside the piano and softly hum the melody as he played.

When I moved out of my parents' home, the comfort of my dad's late night serenades was one of the things I missed the most.

Later on, as I got to know Jonathan, one of his qualities that drew me in was his love for music. From any decade, any genre, there was just so much that he loved. His wide range of music taste was fun and endearing. He loved playing the guitar and singing.

These things helped me fall in love with him, but I never would have thought that Jonathan and his love for music could bring me that same joy and comfort that I got from my dad while I was growing up.

At four o'clock this morning, I woke up and realized Jonathan wasn't in bed with me. I heard the faint tones of a guitar coming from the front room. I smiled. He was at it again... writing that song.

* * * *

Happy Father's Day, Dad. Thanks for your warmth and soothing music.

Happy Father's Day, Kerry. Thanks for your kind and welcoming spirit and for raising my awesome husband so well.

Jonathan, thanks for playing music all the time, just like my dad.



In the spirit of Father's Day...


Jonathan bought this shirt in Quito this weekend and wore it around all day Saturday. He really does love his dad.


I love my dad too.

7 comments:

P. Chamberlain said...

Amanda:

Thanks for always making me look much better than I ever was or am (that is what kids are for). I love being a Dad and am grateful you are my daughter and that I may have had some influence on who you chose to marry. Thanks for the Fathers Day wish. I miss you! Tell Jonathan to keep at the music. I started too late in life to ever get good at it. He has a much better chance.

Love,

Dad

Jessica said...

That is so sweet! I love the shirts. That is such a great way to wish Happy father's day from a different continent!

cathy said...

Isn't it funny how our parent's influence reveals itself as we grow. Sweet tribute.

That one guy... said...

Phenomenal post. Much respect and admiration for your Dad, and your writing.

Chels... said...

Haha... I love the shirts! Very nice post :)

David and Brooke Gallagher said...

Those are cute shirts! Happy fathers day to your dad, I think he's pretty cool too!

James McOmber said...

Mondo-cute. I'm glad you can feel that same comfort again.