Thursday, July 16, 2009

campamento

Well I promised a post about last weekend and I will write one. It has been a crazy week for us. Tonight a group of 50 Utahns arrived in Quito. Tomorrow afternoon they'll meet us out in one of the little communities we work in and we'll work work work until Wednesday.

It has taken a ton of planning and running around like chickens with our heads cut off to get this expedition organized. I think we've done our absolute best to have it go smoothly. Now let's just hope it really does. Tomorrow the real crazyness begins. Wish us luck.

Now back to last weekend.

Jonathan was told 2 Sundays ago that that coming Friday we would have a Young Men and Young Women campout. 1 night. The Young Women leader told Jonathan to bring me and since they know that we've both camped with church groups before, that we'd just tell them what you're supposed to do on campouts. Jonathan suggested that we take a couple more weeks and plan a little more but, in the words of the YW leader, "These things are just better when you don't plan them too much." (in Spanish... but you get the idea.)

I was a little skeptical of how this would all turn out on such short notice. Plus it's REALLY cold in the high areas of Ecuador right now and the thought of sleeping in a tent just didn't sound fun. But.... Of course I agreed to go. I knew it had potential.

Ecuador has very few campgrounds and campouts just aren't something the locals do much. So a couple in the ward offered their friends' cabin. It turned out to be in a beautiful area. Plus bathrooms and a kitchen. We slept in tents on their land so we could get a little of the campout experience.

It basically played out like a normal church campout... campfire testimony devotional thingy, hot chocolate, marshmallow roasting, stepping in cow pies in the dark, playing hide and seek and sardines in the dark, squeaaaaaling giggling girls, showoff-y guys, and an amazing hike.

I had a thick sleeping bag and didn't get too cold. Everything was pretty much great. Here are some pictures we took. If you're friends with Jonathan on facebook, you've probably already seen them.


Align Center
view from the cabin in the morning. rio chambo.


the cabin

jonathan with a couple of his young men. andres and shayid.

on the hike... i guess they were under the impression that if everyone held onto the rope they wouldn't fall into the stream.

excited for a day of hiking.


sometimes jonathan is a 6-year-old boy.


eating limes with salt... makes my tongue hurt to watch.


a gate post that jonathan and i found funny. seems like they couldn't decide what to put on it so they just put everything. pyramid...hot air balloon...


an awkward group picture that left me wondering why we were all raising our hands.


jonathan crossing a very precarious bridge over a very fast river. i tried to make him stop but sometimes i feel guilty for smothering adventurousness... just hope he doesn't die.


hiking break.


jonathan and some great countryside.


me and a great cow (that really wanted me to go away)

All in all it was a great time. However, I'm asking myself now if it was worth it. Why?

Saturday after we got home, I showered and took a nap. Then I woke up and puked. And then puked again. Then again. The next day I had the worst headache of my life, fever chills, aches. Next day I felt a little better besides the headache. Next day all day stomachache again.

I ate something BAD.

Those who have read my blog for awhile know that I've had my share of sickness... I think I forgot what it feels like to feel healthy and good.

I'm making a good recovery, though, so let's hope I stay good for the expedition. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.


I just updated Ascend's Ecuador blog. If anyone's interested in learning more about what we'll be doing on this expedition, go here!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Just think, you will be prepared for months of morning sickness when you decide to have kids! And, I wish I could look that cute when I go hiking!

Lindsay said...

Dearest Amanda, if anyone understands being sick for an endless amount of time in a third world country, it's me. I sympathize with you, and know I'm here to Skype whenever you need.

I can't say it gets better, but you're awesome. Can't wait to hang out when you get home! We can swap sick stories. ;)

cathy said...

Man, I'm sorry your sick! I hope the expedition goes well. Take care.

David and Brooke Gallagher said...

Sorry your so sick again! You sure are a trooper for taking on all these adventures and being sick! Good luck!