Thursday, February 24, 2011

Changes.

I had always heard that having kids will change your life.

Well it has mine. ...in many wonderfully awesome and frustratingly predictable and annoying, hilarious ways.

A couple of nights ago Hattie pooped. She was sitting in a position that has the potential for reeking havoc on the ability of a diaper to do its job. Jonathan rushed her into her room to assess the damage and clean her up. A few seconds later he walks out of her room with an open diaper in hand.

"Look how close it was," he told me excitedly as he put the diaper in front of my face.

I looked at the millimeter at the very back of the diaper -- the only part that remained unsoiled. We high-fived. No escaped poop.

A few days go by and Hattie's broken her record for longest time without a poop. She recently started eating solid foods and we were anxiously awaiting the first "solid food poo." I called Jonathan in the morning from work.

"Has Hattie pooped yet?"

"Nope."

"Darn. Will you call or text or email me when it happens? Let me know how it is?"

"Yep. She's had a few stinky farts. No poop yet though."

"Okay. Bye. Love you."

I got a text a couple hours later: Poopy Baby.

Me: Yay! Stinky or thick at all?

J: Stinky but not thick.

Me: Gross. We're texting about someone's poo.


Three hours later I got an email from Jonathan: I've changed three poops since I texted you.

Me: Wow! Good!


Yes. We show each other poo. We call each other about poo. We text each other about poo. We email each other about poo.

Just one little change that came from having a kid.


When I think back on life without Hattie, it's so strange. It seems so empty. It was good, and definitely easier, but so different. Having a child has touched every part of my life.

I'm so grateful. Poop and all.

5 comments:

Jeffrey said...

You guys are awesome.

Lindsay said...

Love it. I was laughing out loud, quite literally. Not the LOL insincere crap--seriously laughing out loud.

You're awesome.

Michemily said...

Ha ha ha.

Jeffrey said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjIskTJ1PgA

Sara Lou said...

Oh good! We aren't the only ones who have a lot of discussions about our childs' poop status... :) I love the humor.