Friday, June 3, 2011

Making a Life

I've had a surge of motivation and inspiration lately. You just can't let those pass by. At least, I won't this time.

I want to learn things.

I've heard a lot of people say things like, "Learning shouldn't end when school ends." Now I realize that yes, that little saying and all its variations may be trite, maybe they're cliché, but the idea behind them? It hasn't lost it's meaning. It's true.

When I graduated from college 2 years ago, I was so excited to finally have the time to learn what I really want to know. Outside the confines of class requirements, professors, and syllabi, I could learn whatever I wanted! Instead, I was caught up in making a living, helping to support my family, the duties of life, watching tv.

My mom-in-law emailed me some Maya Angelou quotes today. One of them was:

"I've learned that 'making a living' is not the same as making a life."


I love it when you read something someone else wrote that feels like it was written for you. It just shows you how similar we humans are to each other.

I'm going to start making a life. It will be full of learning how to do things that I'm interested in. I will make an effort to go out and do things that I want to do. Your life can end at any time. Your knowledge and memories and experience stay with you forever.

The things I learn and do will make me a more interesting and thus hotter wife. Jonathan won't argue with that. I'll be a smarter and funner mom. I'll be more likely to cross paths with people who I can help and who can help me in some way. I'll be better equipped to help them. I'll be more aware of the world.

Next year I probably won't care or even remember who won So You Think You Can Dance, but I bet it'll feel good to wear a skirt that I sewed myself. So what if I sewed it while watching crazy talented people bust a move on tv? No one said I can't multi-task.

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Oh Amanda, you're an inspiration to us all! :)

Jessica said...

Ha, that last sentence made me laugh right out loud. So true! There are so many amazing things to learn. I have learned much just by being a mom and wife, and taking on new challenges connected to those things. Haven't seen you in a while...We need to get together!

Lindsay said...

Seriously awesome. Your blogpost seemed to speak to me personally. Love you!